Friday 1 November 2013

Strength in Numbers...

One of the classes where I work are undertaking an experiment where every student has made a cutboard cutout of child and charged with taking him/her everywhere they go. Each cutout child has a notebook, that people can write in about the child - something positive and uplifting. The experiment is based on the saying that it takes a village to raise a child - so by everyone contributing to the child - the better off the child will be etc etc.... I bring this up because I agree that it takes a village to raise a child - BUT - just as important and in particular to me - there is strength in numbers - and a burden shared is a burden lifted and all those things that go along with this.... You see, I am not coping very well with the prospect of my sons going on missions. Oh, I agree with the reason and motivation behind it, I agree and support all of that - but the bit I struggle with is letting go of them. I have cried every day. I cry thinking about them going to the departure lounge, getting to the MTC and I'm not there with them, going to a foreign country where it has Republic in its name and there is no rhyme or reason to it - but I will cry if you talk to me about the boys leaving ;-)
But I tell you what - I am so blessed to have had many conversations with missionary mums who are either just starting or have grown and married missionaries now. Three have come to mind, which just this week have buoyed me up and honestly shared my burden (my anxiety of saying goodbye to my sons) with me (without knowing it) and made it lighter.
 
Faith
The other day, I just happened to bump into a good friend of mine this week and we started talking and we got around to the the subject that her niece had gone away and how sad she had been. We talked about how she felt and then she shared with me something we had both heard a couple of months previously by a speaker who taught us the principle of faith as shared by Richard C. Edgley who said: "Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism". She shared with me how choosing faith had helped her to know that her niece was going to be okay. Thank you so much for reminding me of this principle - to exercise some faith!.    
 
Fast
Today I sent a birthday wish text to one of my friends and I asked her (she's a mum of an RM) how she managed to send her son away on his mission - and she sent me back a text - which made us both cry and I will love her for it forever... "I would fast every month for my son. I even did every week some motnhs when I felt like I missed him or wanted assurance that he was ok. Plus I fasted for him to have a successful mission..... I never doubt Heaven Father's purposes for each of these missionaries. Remember the power of fasting! It will be an amazing blessing for you and your family."
 
Trust
Tonight I heard some disturbing news about the mission the boys are going to and as I was just about to run out of the room to tell my husband, ring the consulate, church HQ etc - a friend said quietly said to me - "Trust in Heavenly Father - He knows what He is doing. Just this week she almost lost her son due to complications around his brain tumour and this is what got her through - the knowledge that Heavenly Father knows all and to have faith and trust in Him. Trust your sons to him...." What could I say to that - nothing but "shush your mush M and get on with it!!"

I want to thank all the mums who have been in touch. I am learning so much from you.

Until the next time,

Mxo

No comments:

Post a Comment